Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Adoption Connect!


Today I'd like to introduce to you the author of Adoption Connect. I really appreciate Courtney's heart for adoption. She has a wealth of experience from their own adoptions to offer on so many important issues that adoptive families face, including trans racial adoption, financial hurdles, older child adoption, bonding/attachment and many more. No doubt you will come away very encouraged! Recently I was able to ask Courtney a few things about her experiences.

At what point in your life did you contemplate adopting?
I always wanted to adopt. I can remember being a young girl and thinking about it. My husband and I starting discussing it immediately. We got married young and so the timing never seemed right. Initially we said we would adopt after our biological children were raised. After our 4th child was born, God moved on our hearts. In fact He spoke clearly to both of us about it. That was in 2004 and it wasn't long after that we welcomed our first two children in our home through adoption.

(Click on this photo to enlarge so you can see her beautiful children!!)

What is one challenge in particular that you or your family has overcome after bring home one or more of your children?
Attachment disorder. Yes, it is real. Yes, it exists. And yes, it is a struggle. However, what I want people to know is that through our loving and healing God, it can be overcome. Our daughter who came home at 8 years old from Russia had attachment issues. She rejected me immediately and fought my love and affection with avengence. There were many hard days. And many days that I cried. It was not at all what I had imagined when we went into adoption. But, God used those times to draw me to Him. And He used those times to show me what it means to love without conditions. It took time, a lot of prayer and a lot of perseverance, but today our daughter is a wonderful, loving, well adjusted 11 year old. And I would go through all of it again to have this precious girl in our lives.


What is something you feared about adoption?
Since we had set out to adopt older children, my biggest fear was that our children would struggle from their past hurts and have so much pain that they would be unable to move past any of it.

Your future grandchildren .... What is it that you want to be known for by them?
Faith. I want to be known for my faith. I want to pass down to them a Godly heritage as well to my great grand children and great-great grandchildren. I want them be faith -filled believers who are willing to risk it all to follow after Jesus.

What is a verse that helped you through difficult days?
I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip- he who watches over you will not slumber. The LORD watches over you- the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and for evermore.

Psalm 121:1-3,5-8

If you could share one thing with people struggling to trust God with all the unknowns associated with adoption, what would it be?
Adoption is a giant leap of faith. It is an awesome an amazing journey. Yes, there are many unknowns. In our humanness it is only natural to fear those unknowns. If God is laying adoption on your heart, JUMP! Is it scary? YES! But, you will not regret it. And God will do amazing things in your life in the process. Adoption has changed me in so many ways. It has made me a better me and I am so glad we took the leap. Don't let your fear hold you back from doing what God is placing on your heart. You only get one life and our lives are short and fleeting. If you are feeling that nudging that your life is meant to be more than it is, I encourage you to cast your fears aside and put your faith in our Father. Then get ready for the most amazing journey of your life!

Courtney and her family's story is adding a new chapter

very soon You'll want to also check out their family blog
Storing up Treasures in Heaven, to hear more about
how this little guy will be joining his family,
Lord willing, very soon!!! What a joy it is to see a family trusting their Heavenly Father for every detail of their lives. Adoption brings about real obstacles and real challenges, but God is greater than all of them. If we will trust Him and yield to Him, He WILL make a way through provision, strength and healing.

I have always appreciated Courtney's honesty about both the trials and the joys with adoption. Be sure to share the Adoption Connect link with others. May we encourage each other along this wonderful journey, as we trust in our Heavenly Father to help us climb each mountain on the path He's set before us. Perhaps you are not in a season to adopt yourself, you'll find several families highlighted on her blog who are adopting and could use your love and support!

1 comment:

solas4me said...

Awesome interview...I am planning on checking her blog out! Thank you! Hope all is well with you and the family :)